Do we need to have a Faculty of Sciences? Or is it better to have a shopping mall at Vezneciler Campus? What is the value of Science? In this course we will discuss why do we need Science, how Science improves people’s lives and how to do it better.
- Why Science matters
- What is Science, and what is not
- How do we know what we know
- What cannot be known
- What is the relationship between Science and Technology
- How Technology changes Science
- What are the key elements of good world-class Science
- The role of ideas, models and abstractions
- The role of experiments, tools and instruments
- What makes a good scientific explanation
- How not to fool ourselves
- How to do science with high impact
Official classes are held each week on Fridays at 9:00 at the Meeting Room of the Molecular Biology and Genetics Department. Feel free to come.
Here you find the slides that have been used in classes.
Class 1: Experiments, Scientific Impact and the Meaning of Life. Motivation of the course [Slides]. (Feb 23, 2018).
Class 2: Where is the Truth?. How do we know what we know [Slides]. (Mar 2, 2018).
Class 3: The Scientific Method. An operational definition of Science [Slides]. (Mar 9, 2018).
Class 4: Introduction to Logic. When a sentence is true or false [Slides]. (Mar 16, 2018).
Class 5: Logic Arguments. What do we mean by ‘Logic Argument’? [Slides]. (Mar 23, 2018).
Class 10: Probabilities as Logic. Based on Jaynes’ Book [Slides]. (May 4, 2018).
Class 11: Plausibility rules. Based on Jaynes’ Book [Slides]. (May 11, 2018).
Class 12: Probabilities. Based on Jaynes’ Book [Slides]. (May 18, 2018).
There will be some math involved, but only the essential parts, including:
- Logic, Set Theory (two sides of the same coin)
- Concepts of Probabilities and Statistics
- Networks and Graphs (for molecular biology)